Thursday, March 13, 2014

Dining Room redecorating continued.

I showed you the walls of the dining room after I finished them, now I will show you some of the other things I did in dining room!

First step in redoing my dining room was to remove the wall paper.  I have always removed old wallpaper before putting on new paper.  Also I have always "sized" the walls. Sizing includes brushing or spraying wallpaper size or paste on the walls. This helps the new wallpaper stick better and also helps with the removal of old wallpaper.

The old wallpaper was easily removed. First I took the top vinyl off and that left the paper part of wallpaper. I used hot water in a spray bottle and saturated the paper. Then took a good scrapper and removed it easily.



Because my walls are plaster, and I didn't want to put up wallpaper this time, I needed to line the walls. I used a prepasted heavy duty wall liner paper. I put the wall liner on horizontally and mudded between the lines.  This made a beautiful surface to paint with no plaster cracks showing through!
My husband made a paint booth for me in the top of our garage. After taping all the spots I did not want spray painted, I sprayed my chandelier hammered black. I also sprayed the mirror frame black to match and used the same spray paint on the picture frames.

I used paper that looks like wainscoting for the bottom of the walls and put up a chair rail to finish off the walls.

My buffet and china cabinet were too dark to use in this new room so I painted them... below you will see the process that I used to antique them.

 


I painted the inside of the China cabinet black. I have White china so I thought this would make the china stand out.

On the outside of cabinets, I first painted them the color of my walls.


I followed the directions on the Valspar, Weathered Crackle Glaze I bought at Lowe's.
The buffet I did on a very warm, humid winter day and the china cabinet I did on a very cold, dry winter day.  The buffet turned out with more crackling on the humid day. So be careful about where and when you do your pieces. 






I couldn't find hardware in black that I liked so I took the old pieces and bought some new pieces from House of Antique Hardware and spray painted the black.
I love the way these pieces of furniture turned out and plan to do more soon!
 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment